"The fruit of the spirit's not a banana..." I've heard
this silly VBS song over and over again in my life. Many times it's been just
that, a silly little song. However, I have seasons where the words become so
much more. God, my heavenly Daddy, uses these simple words to teach me
wonderful things about who He is and who I am. I have had three of these words,
these fruits on my heart lately: peace, patience, and faithfulness. These
attributes are evidence of God's presence in my heart, but they don't always
come naturally. I need practice and it's during seasons like this one that God
tends to hand me opportunities to practice.
Peace. I am a busy person. I am a planner. I like to know the big
picture and be able to anticipate what happens next. Peace does not come
naturally to me. But when it comes, it's overwhelming. God's peace is
overwhelming! The road of infertility is hostile and full of landmines of
grief. From the moment that we made the decision to adopt, I have been flooded
with peace. I don't see the big picture yet. I don't know what will happen
next, and that is ok. It's not all sunshine, puppies, and rainbows, but God's
got this and the peace that He is in control overwhelms me.
Patience. Oh, the patience! I want patience, now! Right now! I'm
not good at waiting. In this world of instant gratification, lessons in
patience stink! It is no fun to wait when my timing is so much better, right?
Wrong! His timing is perfect and if I try to push this in my timing, I may miss
out on some amazing blessings.
Faithfulness. This process requires a truckload of faith. We are
stepping out on faith that the money will come, that our daughter is out there,
that she is safe. Again, this is not natural to a big picture person, but God
has given me a lot of seasons to practice this one. I'm not saying I'm good at
it. But it gets easier to believe that God will provide when you've seen it
happen over and over again.
"For in this hope we were saved. But
hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if
we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently."
~Romans 8:24-25

No comments:
Post a Comment