My beautiful, precious Cora Lakshmi,
This was our first week of spending all day together. I have loved every minute of the time we’ve
spent together. I’m sure by now you
realize that your Golly is not really babysitting, but Cora Lakshmi is Gollysitting! You are so patient with me, even though I don’t
understand all of the languages you speak, I can’t match your
boundless energy, and car seat/high chair/stroller “click clicks”
take forever for me to master.
You calmly remind me that the movie is supposed to be playing, even
though Golly is confounded by Mommy and Daddy’s newfangled
television contraption, and it takes her forever to hit the right button. Your patience and wisdom serve you well as
you learn to navigate your new surroundings.
Today was an especially busy and productive learning day. You are always sad to say good-bye to Mommy
and Daddy, but we talked about the fun things we would do today, and you were
eager to begin. You told me right away
that you were going to put your swimsuit on and play outside in the “water
water”. You love to go
exploring away from your little wading pool and around your big back yard. Today, you wanted to go farther than the
other days we’ve been out there together.
Hands up, learning to feel what is around you, under your feet, in front
of you, your presented the perfect picture of a curious toddler. You are a brave, adventurous little girl, and
sometimes you don’t want to stop with Golly warns you
that you are near something that might hurt you. At times you want to hurry instead of using
caution. But you listen, and you rein
yourself in so that you can explore safely.
You have more perseverance and persistence than many adults!
A perfect example of those traits was the “work”
you did on your new slide today.
Your daddy had encouraged you, a couple of days ago, to go down the
slide on your belly instead of sitting.
That had made you feel a little insecure, and he quickly told you that
you didn’t have to try that.
Today, after sliding for awhile, you stopped at the top of the steps and
asked me to help you. It took me a
minute to realize that you were trying to go down on your belly (I still didn’t
put it together, though.). I put my
hands under you, said, “Golly’s got you,”
and helped you go down the slide. You yelled, “Golly’s
got you!” all the way down! Then you went up the steps and tried it
again, still with my help. After several
more tries, you finally mastered going down on your belly all by yourself. That time, you stopped at the bottom and
said, “Daddy?” I
went right into our script, “Where is Daddy?” But this time, you continued with, “I
am so proud over you!” Sweet
girl, you spent all that time learning a new skill so that your daddy would be
proud of you! And he is so proud of you,
whether you go down the slide on your belly or not!
During another trip to your pool, you decided to skinny dip. You got your Golly laughing very hard when
you tried to put your swimsuit back on by yourself, feet through the straps,
suit wrapped around your waist, feet through the bottom, suit on your head, and
finally…hanging your swimsuit on your teeth: (CL: “Grrrr…it
isn’t working!” Golly: “Would you like me to help?” CL:
“NO! Lakshmi do it!”) You are such a toddler!
We went on a quick shopping trip for garbage bags during which
you took a power nap in the shopping cart, and then on to Golly’s
house to walk her puppies. Golly’s
puppies are loud and a little overwhelming.
I could tell you were stressed by them, but you dealt with it all like
the brave girl you show us all you are.
We finished quickly and drove back to your house for lunch and nap time.
I have to admit that nap time has become one of my favorite times
of day, not because you go to sleep, but because I get to hold you, rock you,
and sing to you. My heart melts when I
look at your precious face. You rock and
sing your babies to sleep, and then I get to do the same for you. You are the best snuggler in the world! I could just sit there rocking you all
afternoon, but I put you in your bed so that you can sleep well. You always go to sleep saying, “Mommy. Daddy,”
softly. And I always say the same
words your mommy says to you, “You are safe. You are loved. Mommy and Daddy will be here when you wake
up.” Those
precious words touch my heart in ways you may never understand, but for many of
the same reasons they touch yours. And
when you woke up, Mommy was there, Daddy came home, and Golly had to say, “Ta
ta for now.” But
you said those magic words, “Golly, hold you more.” So I did. And I was late to choir practice. And I didn’t even care.
After your Golly went to choir practice, you had a visit from your Auntie Lori Jane and your Noelle. You had so much fun laughing and playing and singing! You don't understand this yet, but there are quite a few people who love you so very much!
Your schedule got a bit off this evening, but you were a champ and didn't let it throw you off too much. As we were finishing our prayers tonight you said, "Mommy are you so so sleepy?"
And so you were!
Busy day! Busy girl!
One last thought from your Golly as you drift off to dreams:
You are safe. You are
loved. And you are one day closer to
four.
No comments:
Post a Comment