Friday, February 16, 2018

One Moment

The dismissal bell rings. Three pint-sized princesses in school uniforms walk down the hall towards the school lobby. Two are arm in arm and the third is right in line with them. They giggle and talk and radiate the joy of being friends.

I have held this picture secretly in my head for the last few days. Keeping the joy of it quiet and jealously guarding this moment. This one moment! I didn't take out my phone. I didn't capture a picture except in my mind's eye. I was too busy soaking it in. A moment of true belonging. Of childhood. A moment that, when I think about it, is a moment my daughter could have easily missed. If we hadn't said yes to her. If she hadn't said yes to us. If we hadn't all embarked on this journey of family together.

If someone from outside of our little bubble had seen a snapshot of that moment, they would have seen 3 happy school girls. They may have noticed that 2 of them had opaque, unseeing eyes. They may have noticed the purple mobility cane. But I hope they would have seen the smiles first.

I hope they would have seen that they are children. 

Because we all start this way. Because children are joyfully themselves. Despite disability. And differences. And the worries of a world. 

Children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment